Monday 5 March 2018

What I've Been Watching | January

I've been planning this blog series for quite a while now. I'm a huge fan of Netflix, and myself and Connor have Cineworld Unlimited Cards, so we often go to the cinema. I personally love recommendations of things to watch, so I thought I'd talk a bit about What I've Been Watching this month.

Friends


Considering all ten seasons were released on Netflix on New Years Day, there's no surprise I've basically been watching Friends all. The. Time. I'm enjoying it almost as if I were watching the series for the first time instead of the 99999999th time. I'm thinking of doing a little post about reasons why I still love Friends, as there's some controversy going around. Let me know what you think in the comments!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️- It'll always be there for me

Grimm (Season 6)


I have a love/hate relationship with Grimm. I love the first three series (I think), and then the storylines became absolutely mental and I didn't like it. I stopped watching it for a year or so, then caught an episode that Connor's mum was watching (the penultimate one of Season 6). When the recent series was released on Netflix, I thought I'd give it another try, as I am attached to the characters and I was curious to see where it goes. I'm glad I've finished the series, but I also feel like I will never get that time back. I don't understand the ending to it AT ALL. Grimm, what are you playing at??

⭐️⭐️- How powerful can a stick be?

Victoria


I didn't get a chance to catch this on ITV, and I've been loving The Crown and I quite like Jenna Coleman. I basically watched the first series over a couple of days. I was addicted. The portrayal of Victoria and Albert was so adorable and romantic. I did not start to belt out the Gloriana theme tune every time it played...I learned a lot considering I'm not mad about the Monarchy, I just love films and television shows about them. I now need the next series! Please Netflix??

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️- More of Victoria and Albert's romance please.

How To Get Away With Murder (Season 3 and 4)


I. Love. This. Show. I've been hooked since I first watched it at university. I love Viola Davies, she is a queen. The way they mix the present and the future makes me binge watch each series as I HAVE TO KNOW what happened. I'm a huge lover of crime dramas, I love trying to figure out who did it, or who died. Although, I did think they were going to end it at Season 3, and I'm not quite sure where they are going with it in Season 4, but I'm holding on.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️- Pass the popcorn

Black Mirror (Series 3 and 4)


This series is absolutely incredible. When Connor recommended it to me when it was on TV several years ago, I couldn't believe how relatable the episodes are to real life. Even though it's science fiction, I feel like Charlie Brooker has analysed human behaviour and society, dissected the evil that's already there, then twisted it into futuristic fictional drama. Some episodes are centered around technology; like implants, virtual reality, a world where you get jobs, houses etc based on the amount of stars your peers give you for photos/your personality. But, some display just how brutal society is, by blackmailing the prime minister or people through your webcam. It is amazing, but I do warn you that some episodes can be tough to watch, especially the first one of the first series.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️- Let's not bring these stories to life...

Riverdale (Season 2)


I loved the first season of Riverdale, but I feel like they are losing me now. I have no idea where it's going or why. I love the cinematography and the neon colours, and how it looks like it should be set in the 1950's but it is actually present day. In the second series, they wrap up one of the storylines and we're now just watching some of the characters unravel? For what reason??

⭐️⭐️ - Archie's changing ginger hair colour is infuriating

The Crown


I was hooked on the first series, but I'm finding I'm not watching the second series at the same pace. I'll get there, as previously mentioned I love learning about the royals so I will stick with it! Clare Foy's portrayal of the Queen is really good, I barely even recognise Matt Smith as Prince Charles! He does such a good job of capturing his essence.

⭐️⭐️⭐️ - More corgis please

The Post


I've heard some reviews that people don't like The Post. I really enjoyed it, I was fascinated by how the American press worked and I do love a film with Tom Hanks in it. I also loved the portrayal of women in the 1970's, especially the response to a female publisher. The film is set in America, where the Vietnam war is still ongoing. "When American military analyst, Daniel Ellsberg, realizes to his disgust the depths of the US government's deceptions about the futility of the Vietnam War, he takes action by copying top-secret documents that would become the Pentagon Papers". (Imdb)

I'm really in love with factual films at the moment, I enjoying learning more about the world's history!


⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ - The lead up to President Nixon's tapes being released

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 


This. Film. Was. Incredible. I loved the black comedy writing, a lot of the character's dialogue was so brutal, but amazing. It's no wonder this film smashed the awards season this year! 100% recommend seeing this, although I do warn you of some gory scenes if you're a bit squeamish. Frances McDormand's performance was really good, I loved her as the protagonist.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ - ...And still no arrests?

Hook


I feel ashamed to say I've only just seen Hook. I must've been living under a rock because everyone else has seen it! I loved the animation of Peter Pan and absolutely worshiped the live action version growing up...I had a huge crush on Jeremy Sumpter, who plays Pan. I feel my childhood was deprived of Robin Williams and only as an adult am I appreciating his work. Although, I feel that watching Hook as a twenty two year old in 2018 was a bad call. The filmmaking is completely ancient! I know I was a film student so I tend to over analyse, but come on! Some of the shots just didn't make sense? Aside from the cinematography, it was an interesting portrayal of a live action grown up Peter Pan.

⭐️⭐️ - Since when was Skrillex available in 1991? Bangerang.

The End of the F***ing World


I'm not even going to lie, I watched all of this series in one evening. No regrets. I knew I had to binge watch this series and it felt so good. Alex Lawther plays James; a teenager with a tendency to kill animals. He decides he's ready for something bigger than a rabbit or a cat. A human. When Alyssa approaches James, he thinks he's found the perfect kill. This comedy drama had me hooked on the relationship between two dysfunctional awkward teenagers. Thoroughly recommend!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️- At first I thought this was set in America...How did they make England look America??

Let me know what you think about this blog series, and if you've watched any of the above. I love a good discussion!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig