Friday 15 December 2017

The Disaster Artist | Review

If you aren't aware of the cult following of The Room, you need to see it. It's one of the best worst films. Still not fascinated to see it? Well, the film was written, directed, and starred Tommy Wiseau. It was supposed to be this epic drama that would make Tommy and his best friend; Greg famous actors.


When the film was screened for the first time the audience was aghast with the film, but then they started to laugh.

It is quite possibly the best comedy I've ever seen. Myself and my boyfriend Connor went to a special screening at the Harbour Lights Picture House in Southampton, and I've never seen an audience react to a film the way that we all did. Everyone was in hysterics the whole time, reciting the lines in perfect synchronicity and throwing plastic spoons (if you know, then you know).

When I saw the trailer for The Disaster Artist, with James and Dave Franco and Seth Rogen I was in stitches and knew I needed to see it ASAP. I'm still in need of watching The Room again and this filled that void.

The Disaster Artist is based on the book that Greg wrote on his experience in making the film both off and on set with Tommy. It shows how they met and the journey they go through to become actors.

Tommy, James, Greg and Dave.
When I was in the cinema, I wasn't sure if my fellow audience members had seen The Room before but I wasn't afraid to be one of the only people laughing at every. Single. Thing.

But don't get me wrong every one was laughing too, just maybe not as loudly and as frequent as myself...

James Franco as Tommy Wiseau
It was as great as I'd hoped it be. James Franco has really outdone himself. I believed that he was Tommy. Everything about him on screen matched the Tommy in The Room. I also loved how many other well known actors popped up, for one my beloved Zac Efron. Especially as James, Dave, Seth and Zac are friends in real life I feel like it added something extra to the film.

The production design was fantastic, all of the sets for TDA were identical to The Room, although I was disappointed with the lack of spoons but oh well. At the end of the film they actually played back  side by side TDA re-enactments and The Room scenes and you could see how in sync they were, and how much effort had gone into making this film.

If you still haven't watched The Room in the middle of this review, then I'll tell you a little something. The film essentially is about two underdogs, Tommy and Greg want to become great actors. This film follows that journey, and if anything we can all relate to aspiring to be something, but people keep knocking you down. The Room is most likely only successful because Tommy put his all into making something of his film. He is the single distributor of The Room. How crazy is that!

I hope you enjoyed my little review, I didn't want to give too much away and may have rambled on about The Room a bit much, but it is amazing and you should watch it. As well as watching The Disaster Artist obviously.


9/10 (would've been 10 if there were spoons)

Love Saffron x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig